This recipe is an all time favorite of my entire family (except my baby brother-he doesn’t like corn). Anytime we have a pot luck, family gathering, or birthday party….this is always my go-to dish. It’s so easy and ridiculously good.
My kids even ask for it at home, “Can you make some of the ‘corn stuff’ for supper?” My husband will eat it like it’s going out of style. My sister will go buy the ingredients so I can make her some while she visits. I try to make it as often as I can since my family of six likes it so much. It’s cheap and that’s always a plus!
I first tried this dish at a church function last year. My husbands aunt made it and by the looks of it I was skeptical. Corn…mayonnaise…and green pepper (ick). The mayonnaise and corn is what throws everyone off. I’m not going to lie my stomach was not too thrilled at first either. However, after the first bite I was amazed at how good it was! I have been making it every since! I owe it all to Sissy Angie (it’s what the kids call her—isn’t that sweet??)
This may be one of the easiest recipes you can try! No cooking, no baking, no hours of prep time, no hours of baking or standing in the kitchen. Throw it together and throw it in the fridge.
The hardest thing about this dish is cutting up the green pepper and opening the cans of corn. I have never used fresh corn (corn on the cob) but I am sure it would be just as tasty (if not more).
- 2 (15 ounce) cans whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese (we love cheese so I always add more)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (for my family is use 1.5 cups)
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped (I don’t use onions in mine…my mother-in-law does and people like it that way too…I just don’t like onions)
- 1 (10.5 ounce) bag of Chili Cheese Fritos, coarsely crushed
- Mix first five ingredients in a bowl and place the covered bowl in the fridge to chill.
- I have found it is easier to mix the cheese and mayonnaise first and add everything else after.
- Right before serving the dish stir in the corn chips.
- TIP: Do not add the chips in too early or they will get soggy.
- Serve and enjoy!
For family functions I usually have to quadruple this recipe! Opening eight cans of corn can be tiring. Since mine broke maybe this momma should invest in an electric can opener ;).
You should give this yummy and easy recipe a try. Maybe your family will love it as much as mine does!